Click on a question to reveal the answer. Please contact us if you have any other questions, we are always happy to help!

Looking for driving faqs?

What do I need to have to complete CBT?

All you need to have is a driving licence - provisional or full car licence. You do not need to have any bike clothing, helmet, bike etc. as we can provide this.

Do I need to take lessons before completing CBT?

No. CBT is a course which can be taken by a complete novice. We will teach you everything you need to know on the day of the training so you don't need to have lessons beforehand.

What happens if I fail my CBT?

You cannot fail CBT. It is a training course and if you do not reach the required standard on the 1 day course, we will bring you back for lessons until you do reach the standard, when we will write your certificate.

How much will it cost to get my full licence?

The 1 day CBT course costs £170 and lessons are £30 per hour thereafter. Everyone is different in terms of the number of lessons they need, however, a good average is to work on the basis of 6 to 10 lessons in total for both the off and on road tests. Test fees are payable to DVA when booking tests. Current charges can be viewed on

Can I take the off and on road tests on the same day?

No. Tests are completed sequentially - first the theory, then the off road and finally the on road test. You must have passed your theory before you can book the off road test and you cannot book the on road test until you pass the off road.

What test centres do you use?

We use Craigavon and Mallusk for the off road test and Lisburn, Craigavon and Armagh for the on road test.

What size of bike can I ride when I pass my test?

At A Plus Motoring Academy Ltd. we do not recommend going for a full AM licence at 16 or a full A1 licence at 17. You can ride your moped / 125cc motorcycle on the CBT certificate. There is no real benefit in completing 3 further tests for these categories, however, we are more than happy to provide training for the tests should you wish to do them.

At age 19, you can ride a motorcycle with an engine power output up to 35kw. When you have held the category A2 licence for 2 years or reach age 24 (whichever comes first), you can move up to a category A motorcycle. You do not need to complete a theory and hazard perception test or CBT. To achieve the Category A licence, you only have to take and pass a motorcycle manoeuvres test and on road practical test on a Category A motorcycle.

At age 24, you can complete the Direct Access Scheme which means you will complete the CBT and tests on a large motorbike i.e. above 35kw. This means you can buy any size of motorbike once you pass all the tests.


There is so much miss-information out there, it can all get a bit confusing at times! If you have a question not answered here please get in touch and we can put your mind to rest!



Click on a question to reveal the answer. Please contact us if you have any other questions, we are always happy to help!

Looking for motorcycle faqs?

What do I need to start driving lessons?

All you need to start driving lessons is your provisional car licence.

What sorts of things are covered during driving lessons?

Lessons are tailored to suit the individual needs and pace of the student. We cover all the essentials needed to ensure safe driving for life as well as get you through the test! This includes:

  • carrying out a cockpit drill
  • approach and emerge safely from junctions and roundabouts
  • meet traffic
  • traffic lights / signal controlled junctions including multi lane junctions
  • pedestrian crossings
  • gradients
  • bends
  • obstructions
  • overtaking
  • independent driving
  • parallel and bay parking, turn in the road and reverse round a corner
  • emergency stop

Do I need to have my theory test before starting lessons?

No. You do not need to have passed your theory before starting driving lessons. You will need to pass this before applying for your practical driving test. You can study for it while taking lessons.

What is the theory test?

The theory test is made up of 2 parts which are taken at the same time - 50 multiple choice questions and 14 hazard perception video clips. The pass mark for the multiple choice part of the test is 43 out of 50 and the pass mark for the hazard perception part of the test is 44 out of 75.

Your responses to the multiple choice and hazard perception parts of the test are recorded through the use of a computer mouse button.

After passing you will receive a pass certificate. You will need this to take your practical test so it is important that you keep it safe. This certificate lasts for 2 years so if you do not pass your practical test within the 2 years, you will have to take another theory test.

Where do I take my theory test?

There are a number of test centres across NI and your instructor will be able to advise you on your nearest centre.

What happens during the practical driving test?

The practical driving test includes an eyesight check, vehicle safety questions and about 40 minutes of driving which includes a manoeuvre - bay park, parallel park, turn in the road or left reverse - an emergency stop and a section of independent driving. Your instructor will have covered all of these areas in depth during lessons so that nothing will come as a surprise during your test.

How many lessons will I need to take before my test?

This varies from student to student and depends on a lot of different factors such as availability, previous experience (if any) etc. Your instructor will give you continuous feedback on your progress and will let you know when you are ready to apply for a test.

Will I be charged if I cancel my driving lesson?

Lessons are charged at full rate if less than 48 hours notice is given.

What type of car will I learn in?

You will learn in a Seat Ibiza which has dual controls fitted for your safety.


If we have answered all your questions and you are ready to take that first step, please get in touch to book your first lesson.

Success icon